How To Build A Farm Pond Deck

Always building something! How about we learn today how to build a Farm Pond Deck?

How To Build A Farm Pond Deckdock-trailer

Building a dock (pier) on the farm pond was a little challenge with the pond being full of water. But as you’ll see I found a way to get er done and didn’t fall in the water. The pond deck provides an area where you can feel like you’re walking out to the middle of the pond, on a hot day jump off and go swimming or just dangle your feet in the water for the Koi pedicure.

The railing was made short for a seat and if in a chair it’s a table for your favorite beverage. And of course just lay down and relax in the sun and hear the sounds of nature in the background. There is a frog that lives under the deck and really echoes when he croaks. The look on friend’s faces when he sounds off is pretty funny, “What was that”? we just chuckle!!

dock-ruffThe deck is 12’x12’ and provides plenty of room for folks to hang out on. Also provides shade for the Koi fish when the weather is hot. Seems they like to play hide and seek swimming in and out of the shade.
The hardest part was figuring out how to get the posts out in the water in the right location but watch the movie to see how I got this done. If it wasn’t for the floatation devices, I would have had to come up with another plan. Now I don’t think I can say where I got the free floatation devices here on the internet but shoot me an email and I’ll be glad to let you know. The original use for these blocks was my wife idea of making those 123 and ABC blocks for photography I just borrowed them for a little bit ;>)

Caution!! Do not build your deck like this if you have a pond liner or thin layer of clay. The posts will puncture a hole dock-almostthrough the liner or thin layer of clay and create major leaks and a big bummer.

Another great addition for the farm pond and its many uses. One of which is for the kids to go swimming. This helps save the shores from being tore up from getting out of the pond. Now they can swim?? Or jump off climb up the ladder, jump off and repeat.

Now available is our remade video of the farm pond deck, the floating dock and the floating pier instructions in pdf format and the floating dock plans. This is a downloadable product so you can have it ASAP.

On the other hand if you were to build a floating dock and looking for a permanent floating solution check out, insulboard, but the website seems to be down.

They make the foam and cut to whatever size you need. Let them know I sent you if you should choose this route.

As for the free temporary foam blocks check out the big box stores that sell the little black trailers, they use the blocks to keep the trailers from scratching each other. Buy the book a get started on your Deck, Dock or Pier today.

For all Your pond needs feel free to contact us and be sure to check out our all natural pond cleaning products, Pond Dye to Muck Reduction.

Natural Pond Cleaner

About the Author: Darrell Rhoades is the founder of Whatpond.com and has great expertise in building ponds. It all started when he built his own pond for the family. He writes about pond management and sell pond management products at Whatpond.com.

14 comments… add one
  • David Stockton Oct 1, 2010 @ 6:14

Darrell, great job on the DECK! I think I might build one on our pond in the spring. Your site is full of great idea’s. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks,
    Dave

• Darrell Rhoades Oct 2, 2010 @ 8:12

Thanks Dave, now you have all winter to plan and design. Also check out bottom-aeration Once the water hits 55 degrees I’ll be moving one diffuser under the deck to keep it free of ice and heaving.

• Adam Feb 16, 2011 @ 21:55

How is your dock doing now? Has it held up pretty well?

• Darrell Rhoades Feb 22, 2011 @ 14:37

Yes it has held up great. I do keep the aerator running to keep it free from ice.
    Can’t wait for spring…

• Eric Feb 14, 2012 @ 12:14

Darrell, great video, i now understand how to do it, since my pond is filled, wasnt sure exactly what i was going to do. is everything still well with the deck, any shifting? i thought of 6×6’s in the water, but appears your 4×4’s did well. oh yes, where did you get those styrafoam blocks for temporary floating it? thanks again for the informative video. eric

• Darrell Rhoades Feb 14, 2012 @ 17:36

Thank you Eric, Yes I used 4×4’s for the deck. Easier to pound into the pond floor. It also depends on how deep from the deck to the pond floor is.
    I ended up about 5-6′ deep and the 4×4’s work great. And yes the deck is still holding up great. The best thing I’ve done was move the diffuser near the deck for winter to keep it from heaving from ice. As for the foam blocks please check your email.

• Sarah Jul 22, 2012 @ 15:12

Hi,
    I love your site! I have about a 1.5 acre pond and want to put a dock or pier out on it – I think your idea will solve my dilemma of how to do it!
    Thanks!

• Rick Aug 11, 2012 @ 21:18

Thank you Darrell! A clear demonstration on how to build a pond dock.

• Shawn Pepera Apr 26, 2015 @ 23:05

Would love to know about the foam blocks…. may attempt this in our 3 year old pond…. would LOVE a dock!! I mean DECK. LOL

• Darrell Rhoades Apr 27, 2015 @ 4:00

HI Shawn, As for the free temporary foam blocks check out the big box stores that sell the little black trailers, they use the blocks to keep the trailers from scratching each other.

• Misty Mar 22, 2016 @ 0:34

Loved the video, can’t wait to start the deck. Can I get the info on getting the foam blocks to float it? Big box stores and the info of little black trailers is a few clues, but I need just a little more.
    Regards,
    Misty

• Darrell Rhoades Mar 22, 2016 @ 19:20

Hi Misty, Big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Tractor supply and places were they sell trailers.
    Hope that helps.

• Monica Mitchell Jun 13, 2018 @ 14:50

Darrell-
    Did you remove the foam blocks you used for floating initially or are they still there? What did you use to anchor the 4x4s to the dock?

• Darrell Rhoades Jun 13, 2018 @ 20:37

The Floats were removed once the deck joist had been attached to the 4 x 4’s
    Not sure what this moment, but must have it in the book with what I attached the joists to the 4 x 4 ‘s galvanized nails or screws.